Rhodesian Memories 1949 - 1954
By Canon William (Bill ) Girard
Etienne John Girard b. 1908 came to S. Rhodesia in January 1948 and worked at the Rezende Mine Penhalonga. In June he was joined by his wife, Nine Benita Girard b. 1909 and their twosons, William Nicholas Charles b. 1935 and Peter John b. 1940. At first they lived on the hill where the Mine and plant were situated and later moved to the house (picture 4) situated on the road towards the Old West Mine and S. Augustine;s Mission. Near to the house was the Penhalonga tennis Club.
In 1950 or thereabouts Mrs. Girard's sister, Nora von Schilling (picture 1) came to live with the family. Nora was a photographer who had worked prior to the war in Estonia from where the family originated, then throughout the war years in Germany. While in Southern. Rhodesia she worked for E.T. Brown, Photographer, Umtali amongst whose photographic archive there are likely to be examples of her work. She stayed only a short while in S. Rhodesia before returning to Germany.
Some of the listed photographs may be her work: otherwise they are by her sister.
The photographs are numbered in pencil on the reverse, the locations being as inscribed already in the handwriting of Mrs. Girard. Otherwise unknown. Precise dating indeterminate.
HUNTINGDON PE 28 5 RJ.
1. Penhalonga. Nora von Schilling.
2. Penhalonga. Etienne John Girard with dogs [Gremlin cross Ridgeback/Mastiff & Lixie].
3. Penhalonga. William (Bill) Girard.
4. Penhalonga. House, Girard family (looking towards Jeffeiys Kop).
6. Penhalonga. Tennis Club (looking towards Jeffery's Kop).
Penhalonga. Possible mine sand dumps in background.
8. Penhalonga. Imbeza Forest.
9. Odzi River.
10. Odzi River. Odzani Fails (?).
12. Inyanga. Road track. (Love the old gate)
13. Inyanga. Rain imminent?.
14. Umtali. 7 (?) Park Road
15. Birchenough Bridge.
16. Sabi River Motor car is a Model A or T Ford.
17. Sabi River.
18. Salisbury Park
19. Salisbury, Cecil Square Flower Sellers.
Please see http://rhodesianheritage.blogspot.com/2012/04/flower-sellers-of-salisbury-1978.html for the flower sellers of 1978
Thanks to Bill for sharing his memories and photographs with ORAFs.
Special thanks to Lynda Rushby for her help, she brought the photos from the UK and then took them back.
Comments are welcome - please send them to Eddy Norris on firstname.lastname@example.org